Saturday, February 24, 2007

my cny resolution

It seems like Singaporean Chinese regard Chinese New Year as the official “New Year”. This past week, I have had more wishes from total strangers for a happy new year than I had from friends on January 1st. Maybe it’s just the festive atmosphere this week. After all, with the longest weekend you could hope for, everybody was understandably in a jolly good mood this week.

If Chinese New Year is seen as the official beginning of a year, then perhaps it’s not too late to make a New Year’s Resolution. So here goes nothing.

I, Xu Weixian will try to gain 2 kg of muscle (NOT FAT!) by the next Chinese New Year.

Oh boy… talk about inviting trouble. I’ve been trying in vain to even gain 2 grams of muscles and now I’m talking about 2 kgs? Just who am I kidding? But this time it’s different you see. I have officially made a resolution. That ought to mean I’m more motivated than before to beef up those triceps and work those chest muscle things (ok I don’t know the official name so sue me)

More importantly, making a resolution entitles me to constant encouragement and support from you, the reader. That’s right you’re a part of it too. I need you to constantly push me to train and work out.

Why am I suddenly so eager to beef up? Well, I’m going to be working soon and everybody knows the office is the most conducive environment for your belly to grow. And I don’t mean getting pregnant. So if I don’t start a habit of working out now, I’m going to end up a fat lazy pig by next year.

While it would suit the lunar zodiac if I became a pig this year, I think anyone would agree I am much better off looking human.

So please! I beg you! If you see me lazing around at home or in school, drag me to the nearest gym and whip me with your leather belt till I get my butt on the bench press.

My mum would thank you deeply for that.