Monday, May 23, 2005

been bz..

It’s been 6 days since I last blogged... and that's only if you consider the photos I put up as a blog. I always assumed I would be updating my blog very often once the examinations are over. After all I ought to be very free. Yet I find myself actually very busy. I’ve been going out almost everyday and if I am at home I spend my time eating, sleeping, watching anime, television and playing on my xbox. I’ve decided such a lifestyle is not very healthy. For the brain that is. So I’ve decided I will spend more time updating my blog before I totally lose any semblance of intellect.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that all the above activities are totally bad. It is good to do things that require less brain power every now and then, especially after a horrendously draining round of examinations. I just think my brain has rested enough. Before it gets soft I better start training it a little.

Actually come to think of it, I have been warming it up now and then. Playing mahjong is not that simple after all. You do need to weigh your options and think a little about probabilities. And if mahjong requires thinking it’s needless to say bridge requires even more. I’ve been playing such games quite a lot in recent days so at least I know the math side of my mind isn’t too stiff.

However, the linguistic side of me has been taking a bashing recently. Speaking in different ways with different people is perfectly fine with me. I even think it’s necessary. However, it can make me a little confused about my grammar and sentence structures. At least with blogging I can use some vocabulary I would hardly use in a typical conversation and practise on my grammar a little.

I guess that sums up what I value as far as intellect is concerned. Maths and English are two very important skills for me. Include to that physics and I guess all my intellectual interests are pretty much covered.

It is over generalization to lump literature such as Shakespeare under English but since I would never major in literature any time soon, in or out of school, I guess it’s sufficient to say I enjoy a good play because I enjoy English. That goes for movies and television too. I still think that sex and the city has more wit then desperate housewives but D.H. does give good humour with perfect English.

I’m certainly not chastising those who do not speak proper English. I hardly speak an entire sentence of English without a “lah” or “lor”. But I do appreciate proper English every now and then. Perhaps that is the real reason why I like to blog so much?