Saturday, May 28, 2005

hi from australia

it's nice to know i dun have to type this at some internet cafe... instead i'm typing this from the comforts of my sister's house.. parents and her have gone out for a little shopping... and i wasn't feeling too well so i thought i would stay at home instead..

it's strange to call this place home when i've only slept at this place for one night.. on the other hand i'm 500km away from the bed i literally grew up on..=)

guess it's the heart that makes the home.. if all my famliy is here chatting laughing doing their things i guess i can't call it anything else but home can i ?

well i wanted to talk about my 1st day in sydney or rather night.. the 2nd thing that greeted me, after my sister, was the cold weather. it was so cold my hands actually felt stiffer just by being exposed to the air too long, the same way frost makes things less inflexible i guess.

my mum unfortunately had no idea this was goign to happen.. she was mis informed that it woudl be summer over here when it is in fact winter! talk about getting the wrong info at the worst possible time...

i offered my sweater to her, which personally i was kinda proud of doing. it's the kinda scene you see in those korean movies i guess where the handsome male lead offers his coat to her gf while he freezes to death in his paper thin shirt.. well i wouldn't call my shirt paper thin and i certainly wasn't freezing to death.. well not to death at least.. but maybe to illness..=P

took a jog this morning. i must mention that 7am here is 5 am in singapore so when the sun came out and i had no choice but to wake up (forget about blinds) i was shocked that i actually woke up this early... but then again i slept at 10pm singapore time, another first for me, so guess it makes sense..

this time difference may seem small but it's causing havoc for my social life.. i logged on at my "normal" time, that is after my routine of stoning, eating breakfast, more stoning and jogging.. in singapore that would be about 10am but cos of the time difference it's only 8 am over there so all i saw when i logged on to msn was 4 people of which 1 was actually sleeping but forgot to turn off his msn.. =P

so off i went to do my next thing which is this blogging.. which brings us back to why i fell sick and thus am not with my parents shopping instead..

well i seemed to have recovered actually.. just a slight built up of phlegm.. it was strange that i only felt this built up AFTER i finished jogging.. coughing and jogging are not supposed to go hand in hand right?

guess my lungs are still not used to the cold weather.. and what with my inevitable panting during the jog, i guess there was so much cold air circulating through my lungs they went on strike! it's as if in retaliation they discharged phlegm so i would think twice about putting them through so much cold air again..

and i certainly can empathise with them.. my feet were so cold last night i practically used a hair dryer of sorts to blow warm air at my feet.. and even then it stilll felt weird because my soles woudl feel warm but the cravices in between my toes couldn't get warmed up and still felt stiff..

you know how your hands feel numb if they hold on to ice for too long? well all i did was carry a bag of groceries for about 500m and my hands felt more like a clothes hanger than an actual moving muscle group. it was like as if the only reason the bag hadn't dropped off was because my fingers had already frozen into a hooked shape =P

now that i've learnt my lesson about the cold, i am not taking any more chances. i am now typing this with the house heater on, my feet covered in thick socks and my upper body clothed in 3 layers of clothing which includes 1 sweater. and yes i'm still in the warm indoors!

the good news is that for the first time in sydney i am actually sweating from the warmth.. the bad news is once i step out of this place the sweat is going to double the coldness..

so unless you love numb fingers, cold lungs and a no-win solution in wearing thick clothing indoors, you had best not visit australia in june. now i know why singaporeans only visit australia during the december hols