Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The beauty IS the beast??

A new girl just came in on Monday. And I suppose she is pretty in a clean-cut office girl kind of way. You know: rectangular spectacles, straight black hair; fair-skinned. The stereotypical girl-next-door but just that she is in office wear. The reason I can write so much about her is because she sits opposite me. And the bonus is that she now sits in between Mr. Helmet and I. So I can now sneak a few peeks at Mr. Helmet’s hair without being noticed. Of course, it could lead to people thinking I’m trying to sneak a few peeks at the girl rather than the man behind. After all, that sounds more logical unless I have some fetish for male wigs or worse I’m gay. But so far, I think no one has noticed my pre-occupation with his hair yet. Or maybe everyone’s wondering if it’s a wig too and they’re hoping I can find out for them!

Anyway for some reason, about 2 hours after I first saw the girl opposite me, she doesn’t seem to look that pretty anymore. In fact, she suddenly went from “girl-next-door-pretty” to just girl next door. It’s like as if some spell was cast that transformed her from sweet innocent office girl to plain, average nerd.

I know I know.. I sound so mean… but this is how I feel and I won’t lie about it. But at least I am impartial enough to say that if she said I went from mini handsome dude to boring, freaky nerd I wouldn’t be hurt.

And yet, just as I’m writing this, she seems to have gone back to sweet young thing again. Hmm… this is really something worth examining…

And then she went back to nerd again… darn….

I think the only thing I’ve proven is that physical appearance is so superficial and subjective. It depends on the angle, the surroundings and the behaviour of the person. If a girl who looks sweet starts spouting vulgarities faster than my ex-platoon sergeant, I’m quite sure most guys would get turned off. On the other hand, if she had some “ah lian” image, we would be less surprised and so less turned off. Some who like the “ah lian” image might even be turned on.

Bottom line is that the girl has nice features but she’s obviously not my type in terms of looks. If not, I could never think she’s attractive one second and average another. I also think that, in terms of having a crush on someone based on appearance, I don’t really go for looks but rather the impression a girl gives me. 2 types of personality turn me on. 1 personality is the confident, self-assured girl who is just plain cool and yet still girly. Someone who fits that image is Karen Mok. She isn’t as pretty as celia cheung or (to me) Fiona xie. But boy does she turn me on. She just seems to be totally in control all the time. That kind of confidence is darn sexy. And somehow, how she looks adds to that cool, confident woman image don’t you think?

Another kind of personality that turns me on is the bubbly, cheerful, girl. Unfortunately I can’t name a star who fits that description because I think it’s purely manufactured and therefore irritating. The closest celebrity I can think of is Elizabeth Montgomery, or rather her character Samantha in the television show “Bewitched”. It’s a very old show so you probably won’t know who I am talking about but her character is really great. She’s strong and kind, warm but firm. More importantly, she smiles so often and in such a beautiful way that even when she frowns it looks pretty in a cute “sa-jiao” kind of way.

But being a tv character, I guess such a girl doesn’t exist. I thought she did but I was wrong. Well, for now anyway.

But here is an interesting question I would like to ask you. If I could choose between Karen Mok and Samantha, who do you think I would choose?
Let me know what you think though I know nobody will bother to reply or comment..grrr…