Friday, October 17, 2008

"history in the making"

The only thing I remember from my secondary school history lessons is that if past mistakes are the best teachers, then history should provide the greatest life lessons and the most insightful observations on how we should live our lives or what we can expect from them.

I couldn’t agree more.

There are events that forever changed the course of history: Pearl Harbour, Hiroshima, Lehman Brother’s collapse etc. Nobody knows for sure what would have happened without these events but everyone surely must agree that those events had a major impact on what happened afterwards. You just cannot delink a USD700bn “rescue” package or the end of the most casualty-ridden world war from Lehman or Hiroshima respectively.

Suffice to say that I recently had a life changing event of my own too. (Digress: Sometimes, the reason why the event happened at the best time possible can also make you feel it shouldn’t have happened in the first place.)

The event will forever change the course of my life. Priorities have changed completely. Past pursuits now seem like a mere “chasing after the wind”; irrelevant and redundant pursuits that amount to nothing of particular importance.

But the event also helped me realize what / who is important to me. I am not a slave to these things or people. Rather, I feel that they are God’s way of helping me get through this life as I try my best to follow God and meet Him in heaven.

I guess if history is really the best teacher, then learn from my experiences. Please treasure the people around you and not be afraid to do the right thing. You never know when you may lose that chance forever.