Saturday, November 29, 2008

Content....

5 stages of grief

1. Denial "It can't happen to me"
2. Anger "Why the bloody hell must it happen to me"
3. Bargaining / Pleading "Is there anything I can do to not let it happen to me?"
4. Depression "Sigh...It's really happening to me...there is nothing I can do"
5. Acceptance "It had its good and bad times.. but ultimately it's still a good memory I'll cherish"

What is "it"? "It" can be anything that you don't want to lose or don't want to have. Death, breakup, financial loss, job loss, didn't get promoted.

I am at stage 5 where I have come to accept that this is my lot and a part of my life. I can now move on and treat what happened as an interesting memory filled with every emotion you could think of. From joy to misery, calm to frustration.

It was so difficult to get through the previous 4 stages alone. It was even more difficult when for a brief moment I thought I wasn't alone but then went back to being alone again.

But now I am content... being alone felt bad during those times. No. It was worse than that. It was downright miserable. And having the comfort of another person only for that comfort to be taken away only exacerbated the pain. It felt so bad I thought it would never end.

But thank God, with His help it did. The depression has passed. That allowed me to not need another person's company. More importantly, it allowed me to finally rediscover the joy of being single, to recognize that everything has its pros and cons.

Being with someone is great when you're going through tough times. But contrary to what I thought, it is not impossible to get through those tough times "on you own" too. I realized I'm not actually on my own when God is in my life. God is always gently reminding me that He's still there to help me through this, even when I just wanted to shrivel up into a small corner where no one, not even God could see me.

Now I’ve come out of this stronger and enjoying life again. Sure it hurts sometimes when a memory is suddenly triggered. You feel like a dagger tip just lightly brushed your heart. But you look at the bigger picture and you think, "Life is still ok... but thank God for God!"

Thank God