Wednesday, November 23, 2005

eyes wide shut

No I’m not referring to the movie starring Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise. I’m referring to my current state.

I played a few games of DOTA till 130am last night as a form of post exam stress relief. My next paper is 5 days away and I had been under some stress before yesterday’s exam so I needed some senseless “killing” to get away from it all as I tried to recharge myself for the next paper. In fact, the next 2 papers are in the space of 3 days. So I’m actually preparing for 2 papers at the same time. This only further justified my game playing. =)

Unfortunately, I couldn’t fall asleep immediately after the DOTA session so I watched some late night television instead. Lo and behold, my delayed telecast of the Liverpool match against Portsmouth was being shown. So I stayed up to watch the first half. By the time I turned off the telly, it was already 2 plus. I then tried to go to sleep. I would normally read my bible a little before I sleep but I knew that any reading now would just be reading for the sake of reading so I decided to read it when I woke up instead when I’m fresher and can absorb better.

Unfortunately, there is one side effect of DOTA that came back to haunt me last night. That is, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. For the next half hour, I was tossing and turning in my bed because my brain couldn’t stop thinking of new ways and strategies to beat my opponents. By the time my brain finally got exhausted of thinking, it was already 3am.

Surprisingly I woke up at 11am, which believe it or not is my normal time for waking up.

Yes, that’s right. I’m a pig. Oink.

I love to sleep so even when I sleep early I still end up waking up at 11am. I basically delay waking up until my body tells me it cannot sleep anymore. Either that or my stomach tells me it’s too empty to go any longer without food. If I could help it, I would probably wake up just in time for lunch =P

Anyway, I digress. The point is that despite sleeping so late, I still woke up at the same time. And believe it or not, I feel fresher. My eyes feel less strained and I feel slightly more energetic. Maybe it’s because I finally got ONLY 8 hours of sleep as compared to my over-extended 10 hours of sleep. Sleeping too much can also make me feel sleepy too. It’s a vicious cycle that makes a good 8 hr sleep turn into an 11hr hangover.

Unfortunately, that is how I’m feeling now. I feel like I’m having an 8hr hangover. While my brain is as active and alert as it should be, my eyes feel like closing despite being less strained.

Hence the expression “eyes wide shut”. Not sure if the movie title meant the same thing but that’s what I meant.

So now you know. =)