Wednesday, June 07, 2006

finally..

Finally, I have some time to blog. For the past few days, I have either been too busy to blog or I don’t have access to a computer. Life in the office is becoming less and less interesting. Today is one of those days where my friend and I have to find ways to keep ourselves busy without being scolded.

It’s not that I don’t have things to do actually. I am supposed to measure quite a few things. Unfortunately, there is only 1 measuring machine I can use. There used to be 2 but some student from long ago damaged it so now everybody is queuing up to use this 1 machine. It’s one of those situations where the queue is long enough to cause disruptions but not long enough to justify buying a 2nd machine. So I’ll just have to wait.

Not that I mind too much today. After all, I finally get to use the computer and I’ve wanted to say a number of things.

The first thing I wanted to announce is that I went on a shopping spree! Shopping is no longer an activity confined to girls, just as how soccer is no longer purely a guys’ domain. I am not ashamed or embarrassed to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed my minor shopping spree. I am not sure if there is a minimum amount of money girls must spend during a shopping trip before they consider it to be a genuine shopping spree. However, for a guy like me who has never bought anything that costs more than 100 except maybe once a year, I spent a hefty sum that day. I bought myself a pair of Levi’s. this is amazing because I never felt I was rich enough to afford a pair. And when there is a sale, they usually don’t have my size. Well, that day I kind of reached a compromise with Levi’s. They gave me a pair of jeans that fits and I gave them $30 more than I would have preferred to spend. The pair I bought was not on sale but it was their “cheaper” version. 508. I couldn’t care less if it was 555. The main thing is the jeans look great and the money, though a bit much, is worth it.

While waiting for my jeans to be altered, I passed by this shop for youngsters. It’s something like 77th street only not so “ah-beng, ah-lian”. It sells this line of fashion called “rusty”. The shop assistant told me it’s “specially imported”. To me, that just means it is probably made in China. Nonetheless, I really thought this brand and I shared the same fashion sense so I bought a leather sling bag and wallet. My old wallet, if you can recall, looked like a lady’s purse: small and cubic. It was a present from some church gals so maybe they forgot how a men’s wallet looks like. Anyway, since I was already in a spending mood, I decided now was the only day I could buy a new wallet without considering that my old wallet is still working fine.

Oh and before I shopped at Levi’s, I happened to buy a billabong t-shirt too.

So as you can see, I spent quite a bit that day. But I enjoyed the whole shopping spree experience. Carrying a lot of shopping bags and looking like you spent a lot is fun. Besides, I only do it once a year and I may be selling my xbox soon to recover some money. Because of my industrial attachment, my poor console has just been collecting dust these past weeks. It makes me wonder if I really need an xbox once I start working. Actually, the real reason I’m neglecting my xbox is because I have DOTA now. DOTA just seems to be a game more suited for post-office relaxation. I can chat with my friends while playing and it’s always more fun when you are challenging other fellow humans rather than a non-responsive, predictable A.I. While I do miss the excitement of spraying bullets through 99 aliens at one go, this cheap thrill would die almost as quickly as it started. I give myself only 15 minutes of playtime before I feel bored of the shooting again.

However, if I make a lot of money in the future, I will probably invest in a ps3. It costs almost 1000 but I can play online for free, the quality of the console is unsurpassed and the games are still v good. I heard that some game creators are defecting to xbox but I doubt the overall game variety will change much.

Before that, I would need to buy a High Definition TV to suit the ps3. This would set me back another 1000. So basically, I will not own a ps3 till I’m 30. (By then, ps10 would have come out.)