Friday, June 23, 2006

shh.. i'm blogging..

Well, I seem to have some time to myself now. All my supervisors are away for unknown reasons so I can’t ask for any jobs. This would make now a good time to blog a little, especially since my medium boss is back.

??? What is a “medium boss”? Well, you see… the command structure here is a little complex. Within one level of hierarchy exists many sub levels. The lowest level is of course my immediate supervisor. This is followed by his supervisor whom I call my “small boss”. This small boss has her own supervisor who is my “medium boss”. They all report to one guy everyone calls the “big boss”.

Of course, that big boss reports to a bigger boss but I only see him occasionally. So, as far as I am concerned, he is not really my boss although he is probably the one who approved my salary.

Anyway, my medium boss doesn’t want to catch anyone sleeping or surfing the net. So the only thing I can think of that would avoid the above 2 situations is blogging. As you know, I blog on a word document first before I copy it over to the net. So hopefully it is not obvious.

The only problem with blogging in this way is that I am terrified of saving the document in this computer so I have to finish writing everything in the word document before someone gives me a job or I am forced to be away from my computer. My password is common to quite a few people. So anyone could see my word document if they chose to open my account. If I could blog directly, I wouldn’t have that problem since I could always delete the Internet history.

I have this gut feeling I am about to receive an arrow. I can almost feel that someone is already taking aim at me and ready to shoot. So I better blog faster…

Well, work now consists of performing the exact same tasks thing on the exact same things at the exact same time. What can I say? That’s what experiments are all about. It’s just that it gets really, really mind-numbing when I have to perform the same experiment for 30days.

I wasn’t supposed to do this job. It was originally tasked to my friend. However, the poor guy is firing bullets and jumping over mud-pools for his reservist training. So poor old weixian here has to make sure the experiment fulfils its 30-day continuity criterion.

I now understand why my friend looked like he was on the verge of insanity after he finished the 1st week’s lab work. The lab has nothing but this rotten egg smell because of all the chemicals mixing together. There is no radio to listen to so it is very hard to keep oneself entertained while doing the lab work. In fact, I’ve even resorted to some singing to keep my brain from turning into stone. I hope the people who occasionally enter the lab aren’t deaf by now.

The only consolation is that I get to see my eye candy everyday for at least 3 times a day (which is kind of like taking medicine for my sanity). She has to work at the lab too though in a different room. However, she often to has make trips to and fro so every time she does I get to sneak a peek at her taut, slim waist (which she proudly flaunts) and those nice shoulders. Although I still think she’s only average in terms of facial features, she does have a really nice smile (though for some reason I do not think of her as being a Samantha… I don’t know why…)

Most importantly, she smiles AT ME and talks to me when she’s free. So it’s always a great way to feel alive again when someone shows some concern for you and acknowledges your existence. Her acknowledgement is all the more precious when the other girls seem to treat me like some germ: they know I must exist but they pretend I don’t. Up till now, they have yet to say hi or anything.

Oh wait. One of them did say “hi, can you take care of this camera for me? Thanks” but that doesn’t really count does it? Haha

At least the guys here are nicer. One guy always calls me “lao da” even though he looks twice my size (both width and height). To be honest, I don’t get along with him because he speaks in Chinese. Or rather, he speaks Chinese so quickly I have no clue what he is saying. His way of talking to me is to first make sure he gets my attention by speaking clearly then start spraying one whole barrage of words at me. So, to me, it goes something like “ Lao Da, bu jie yi wo %*&#@#()$)^**)#%(_^… ke yi ma?”

I always assume he is not asking me to do anything funny so I just say “orh”. And so far, he has not approached me for money or sexual favours so I guess it really was innocent after all. =P

Anyway, the weekend is drawing near. Today, my sister is coming back from Australia for a short reunion. I’m surprised she came back even though she knew I would be busy working. But I’m sure my parents can entertain her. However, I suspect this means I cannot go out on weekends anymore till she flies back. After all, I already wouldn’t see her much on weekdays. I also think this means I should be gaining weight. I usually have a full lunch and a light dinner. However, now that dinnertime is the only time the whole family can eat together, I suspect we will be going to restaurants/hawker centers for dinner quite often. I do not like to sleep on a full stomach but I guess I don’t have much choice.

Come to think of it, if my sister does decide to stay in Singapore rather than be a PR in Australia, it’s going to take some time for me to re adjust to sharing my home with a sibling again. It’s been about 4 years since she went and I’m now so used to having the bathroom, the tv and other things all to myself. Most notably is the time. With my sister around, I would spend time with her, which means less time for myself. I won’t play so much DOTA and stuff. Also, she may want to watch those channel 8 dramas with me while I would prefer to watch channel 5. (She’s just as ang moh pai as me but she likes the melodrama and she reads the subtitles.)
So these next few weeks would be good training in the event I have to readjust next time.
Ok bye.